Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ridin' Solo...plus 3

Yeah, so I've finally figured out that I don't have to stop going to Target just because I have three small children. I just have to stop expecting to be "quick" in any capacity. Putting shoes on two small people takes 10 minutes on it's own, let alone getting everyone dressed, faces washed, teeth brushed, snacks, sippy cups, etc. Even at Target, getting Cam and Tyler into the double stroller takes a long time with all the snaps and straps. Fortunately, they all patiently wait for me to get them strapped in. I think all the talking to myself about how crazy this is keeps them mesmerized.

Once inside the store, things are much smoother except that I should seriously consider getting a "makes wide turns" sign for that ridiculously huge stroller. Also, Target clearly does not want people with strollers (or even carts, for that matter) going up and down the "aisles" of clothing. There is no room. Period. Don't try it. Plus, Cam is rockin' the front seat and I have NO idea what she's doing up there, but she's quiet and still, which is rare. It turns out she has an armload of newborn sweat pants that she is now carelessly tossing aside, much like she's throwing candy in a parade. As long as I didn't toil too long (which is nearly impossible), the kids did pretty well. So there. I celebrated my outing with an iced coffee, which was really more of a necessity given the 1.5 hours of sleep I got last night. I think I can probably manage this whole "mom" thing if I just tweak my expectations.

In other news, Zay has some sort of virus that has caused little, painful blisters all over his tongue. It must be unbelievably painful, and I feel terrible for him because he is having trouble eating. It's trying for ALL of us as we try to comfort him through endless and very dramatic crying, moaning, sobbing, etc. He calls the blisters "boosters" and asks if they're going to be there forever. Oh, geez. I hope he acts this way because he is small and doesn't know any better, but if this is a glimpse into the "inability to tolerate a head cold because I'm a man" thing, I'm in for it. To his credit, Zay DID have a pretty big weekend, which probably lead to his exhaustion: his first-ever Tot Trot as part of the Grant Park Summer Shade 5k, open house at his new dance class and the Summer Shade festival complete with hot dogs and ice cream. Soccer starts in a few weeks, too. And so begins our lives as parents running from practice to practice. Just wait until Cam starts swimming and gymnastics!



The house is living really well. The floor plan is awesome and easy. I can see pretty much everything from my control station (the kitchen, where I wish I were whipping up amazing gourmet dishes, but really I'm just unloading and loading the dishwasher ALL day), and we're finally hitting our stride, I think. All I want in life is routine, which is super difficult with so many small children; however, I think if we can just get over the hump of developing it, we'll run like a well-oiled machine. At least, that is what I'm telling myself. :)

No comments: